Located on the North Shore of Oahu, Pu’u o Mahuka Heiau is the largest heiau on the island, covering almost 2 acres. Built in the 1600’s, Pu’u o Mahuka is a series of three walled enclosures of stacked rock walls. The name of the heiau translates to “hill of escape” and served a pivotal role in the governing of Waimea Valley in the pre-contact era. It was at this heiau that religious ceremonies were practiced up until 1819, when the Kapu System was banned. The heiau was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1962.