2013 has been an insane year of adventure and growth for Exploration: Hawaii. We spent a significant amount of time this year exploring the neighbor islands of Maui, the Big Island, and Kauai. We hiked, we camped, we backpacked, but most importantly, we had oodles of fun. As a group, we explored Haleakala Crater during a 4-day backpacking adventure. Backpacking through Haleakala proved to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life. We also had a few individual highlights, including Ahnate’s completion of the Koolau Summit Trail, from Pupukea to Makapuu. He tackled and completed the most treacherous sections of the trail, including the dreaded Kalihi Saddle, and survived to tell his tale. Marvin embarked on a solo, 3-day tent-less hike from Pupukea to Waiahole.
2013 also marked our foray into shooting primarily with DSLR’s. Ahnate picked up a Canon Rebel T3i, both Joel and I got Canon 7D’s, and of course Marvin was the oddball with his Nikon D600. We’ve definitely come a long way since our point-and-shoot days of 2011. Of course, not everything that we’ve shot has been digital. I’ve began experimenting a lot with analog film cameras, specifically, vintage Polaroid cameras from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. In 2014, I’m looking to fool around even more with film and and possibly explore lomography.
Exploration: Hawaii also saw its first true makeover in 2013. We re-designed the logo. We stripped the site down to something a bit simpler, with minimalism being the focus. The content, including our stories and photos, is what drives this site. We wanted to make sure that the content was the focus, not ads or anything else distracting. We’ve also upgraded a few things under the hood that hopefully made the site a bit more stable and faster.
In 2014, Exploration: Hawaii will continue to move forward and develop. We’ll continue to share our hiking and backpacking stories, but we feel that there’s so much more to explore in Hawaii. Festivals, food, and events will all be fair game in 2014. We look forward to sharing all of our explorations with you in the coming year.
While you’re here, take a look at our favorite posts from 2013!
Coty’s Favorite Posts of 2013:
- The Kamehame Trifecta (Ridge, Deadman’s Catwalk, and Allison’s Hidden Stairs)
- The Haleakala 4-Day Backpacking Series
- The Volcanoes National Park Series
- From Papali Uka Ridge to The Forbidden Castle Trail in Punaluu Valley
- Hiking to the Hidden Rock Bridge From The Hanauma Bay Rim Trail
- Should The City & County Reopen Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven)
- 5 Great Kid Friendly Hiking Trails on Oahu
- How To Hike Safely In Hawaii and Other Helpful Tips
Marvin’s Favorite Posts of 2013
- Waimalu to Waimano: Visiting The Most Mythical of Koolau Meadows
- Pupukea To Waiahole: 3-Day, Tent-Less Hike Along The Koolau Summit Trail
- Waikiki Historic Trail: Conquering The Educational Honolulu Urban Hike At Night
- Halloween In Waikiki, Hawaii 2013
- Round Top Lookout At Night: Introduction To Basic Light Trails and Graffiti